Postion Announcement: Church Administrator
Epworth United Methodist Church
1953 Hopkins Street
Berkeley, California 94707
Job Title: Church Administrator
Category: 37.5 hours per week, 5 days a week, flexible between 9a and 6p
Compensation: Salary range of $50,000 to $57,000 annually. Full medical, dental, vision insurance and pension contribution. Generous paid vacation and holidays.
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Epworth United Methodist Church is a progressive Reconciling Congregation that welcomes all people on their spiritual journey. Epworth is an inclusive community embracing all identities related to age, physical ability, race, gender, sexual orientation, or class. Epworth is a site where diverse individuals can direct their energies for positive impact in the community and greater world.
The Administrator serves as the front office point of contact for the church using various means of communication including but not limited to phones, email, and publications. The Administrator supports the staff, members and community groups in carrying out the ministries of the church.
The primary responsibilities of the Administrator are:
1) to be the leading and welcoming presence in the front office,
2) to facilitate communication and coordination within the church community, with building users, and with the larger public,
3) to support the work of the pastor and church committees, particularly with respect to worship, (in-person and livestreamed), database and online platforms (website, Church Planning Center),
4) to engage volunteers in the work of the church,
5) to coordinate various aspects of building use.
Overall, the Administrator:
· ensures all related processes are performed in accordance with church policies, procedures and standards;
· works effectively with various groups and/or committees to define communication, support needs and ensures they are met;
· demonstrates excellent problem-solving skills and uses positive personal communication to address any issues or problems;
· makes themselves available, as required, to pastor, staff, church committees and the church community to fulfill the responsibilities and needs of this position.
Specific job responsibilities include:
· Coordinate the activities of the front office: maintain church supplies and equipment, receive and disseminate communication, welcome and support members, visitors, building users and vendors.
· Recruit, coordinate and support volunteers to ensure tasks are completed accurately and within predetermined time frames.
· Maintain an organized environment that is welcoming to church members and the public; provide a space for church volunteers to accomplish church business
· Maintain supplies and equipment (office, building and coffee hour).
· Support the pastor with administrative tasks, including, but not limited to processing documents, maintaining records, and assisting in the development of reports as needed.
· Maintain church directory, database and support financial secretary in recording gifts.
· Coordinate communication among the staff, congregation, ministries of Epworth, building users, and vendors in a timely manner.
· Produce Sunday bulletins and inserts, and weekly e-newsletter
· Coordinate with staff and church committees materials needed for specific projects (eg, pledge campaign, Christmas and Easter seasons).
· Work with volunteers to copy, fold and mail necessary publications.
· Create other promotional material as requested.
· Update church website including the online calendar.
· Post and update necessary signage and publicity around church building.
· Promote Epworth events and activities through external publicity including advertisements, posters, websites and posting to community calendars.
· Recruit and coordinate volunteers and support staff in running audio and video components of livestreamed worship and hybrid meetings.
· Schedule reminders for worship volunteers and send out Sunday bulletin and Sunday sound check schedule (ushers, coffee teams, readers)
· Coordinate and schedule building usage for activities, meetings and events for the church community and outside users.
· Provide tours for prospective builder users, processing on-going or one-time use contracts.
· Assign rooms based on needs and availability, and ensure rooms are prepped and accessible.
· Post and update calendar and signage to communicate assigned rooms.
· Monitor building user payments.
· Maintain contact information for each building user group, communicating at least annually updated policies and procedures.
· Serve as the primary point of contact for building users, maintenance, and night security workers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A. Commitment: Ability to support the social justice and community building mission of Epworth.
B. Education and/or Experience: High school diploma required, AA or Bachelors preferred.
C. Communication Skills: Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate verbally and in writing; to write correspondence, publications, web content and promotional materials; to effectively present information and respond to questions from others. Ability to prepare accurate, detailed work. Ability to write reports, correspondence, publications. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from others.
D. Ownership: Strong sense of accountability, taking ownership over projects and responsibilities and resolving issues proactively. Ability to assess information, anticipates issues and outcomes, and make effective decisions.
E. Time Management. Ability to organize time, prioritize workload effectively, and work independently.
F. Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should be comfortable using online platforms to manage and store documents, send out email and e-newsletters, and coordinate systems.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions: Move tables and chairs, bring in mail which can include boxes.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions: The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet, consisting of background noise from immediate co-workers and other office-type work areas.