Lent & Holy Week
Beloved Epworth Community,
The last week of Jesus’ life on earth is often described as his “passion.” Opening with his triumphal entry into Jerusalem, Jesus’ passion follows him through the last days of his life. The high point of being praised by crowds waving palms descends into his betrayal, arrest and crucifixion. It is a time of reflection and reckoning.
Throughout Lent, we will be doing a deep dive into the passion of Christ with a worship series and related events on the theme “Entering the Passion of Jesus: Picturing Yourself in the Story.” The image above is drawn from a Lenten group in which Epworth members embodied each one of Jesus’ disciples in a tableau of Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Supper painting. Participants remarked on how moving it was to imagine what each disciple and Jesus himself must have been going through.
How will you “enter the story?” I invite you to observe a Holy Lent, with new or renewed disciplines, practices, prayer and study.
Grace and peace,
Pastor Kristin Stoneking
- Feb 17, 12:00 AM PST – Apr 04, 12:00 PM PDTOnline
- Feb 25, 10:00 AM PST – Mar 04, 11:00 AM PSTZoom
- Mar 24, 7:30 PM – 8:15 PM PDTZoom
- Apr 01, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM PDTZoom
- Apr 02, 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM PDTEpworth United Methodist Church, 1953 Hopkins St, Berkeley, CA 94707, USA